Once the gas has had time to dissipate, turn the knob to “Pilot.” Then, hold down the “Reset” button and bring the flame of a long lighter close to the pilot light opening. This should light the furnace pilot light. Once you are sure the pilot light is on, release your pressure on the reset button.
How do I light the pilot on my electric furnace?
How to Relight an Automatic Pilot Light
- Set the thermostat on your furnace to its lowest setting.
- Remove the access panel covering the gas control knob.
- Turn the gas control knob to the OFF position.
- Turn the gas control knob or knobs to the ON position.
- Turn the electrical power to the furnace back on.
Does electric heat have pilot light?
Although today’s standard electric furnace uses a hot surface ignition, older models often use an intermittent pilot to ignite heat. The pilot uses a high voltage spark of electricity to ignite heat when the thermostat indicates that it’s getting too cold.
Can you manually light an electric furnace?
Gas furnaces come with an igniter that can light the gas and heat the home. You can’t light the furnace manually if you have an electronic igniter. …
Can I relight the pilot light by myself?
If your pilot light goes out, your furnace will not be able to produce heat because its burners will not ignite. Often, homeowners can relight the pilot themselves.
What do I do if my pilot light won’t light?
If your pilot light won’t stay alight, it might be the thermocouple. Sometimes dust buildup collects on the thermocouple and blocks the sensor. Try cleaning the thermocouple and then relighting the pilot light. If it continues to go out, the thermocouple might need to be replaced.
Should the pilot light always be on in a gas furnace?
If you have an older gas furnace, your heating unit relies on a little blue flame known as a pilot light to ensure ignition of the burners. Water heaters, gas fireplaces and old gas stoves also often have similar pilot lights. … Since the pilot light needs to remain active, your furnace is always consuming some gas.
How do I know if my pilot light is out?
How to Tell If the Pilot Light Is Out
- Locate the front cover panel on your furnace. It should be a little door that’s easily visible. …
- If your pilot light is on, it should be easy to see – your eyes will be drawn to the little flame.
- If you don’t see a flame, your pilot light is out.
- If there is a flame, check the color.
Does gas still flow when pilot light goes out?
If your pilot light repeatedly goes out, this is a likely culprit. If this flame sensor should fail, gas will continue to flow even after the pilot light has been extinguished, causing a safety hazard, and requiring immediate repair.
Where is reset button on electric furnace?
Locate the reset button on the furnace and press it to reset the furnace. It is usually located inside the blower compartment on the side of the blower motor. Be cautious as the housing may be hot. If the button is popped up, press it down.
How do you light an electric furnace?
To light a gas furnace with electronic ignition, start by turning the furnace’s thermostat to its lowest setting. Cut off the power to the furnace next then turn the igniter off and wait for the gas to clear. After waiting, you can switch the igniter back on, bring the power back, and watch the pilot light come alive.
What causes a furnace not to light?
The Pilot Light (Faulty Ignition Sensor) The pilot light or ignition sensor is usually the most common issue when your furnace will not ignite. This is typically the problem if you can hear your furnace click on but it does not fire up. … If the sensor or ignitor is dirty, it will need to be cleaned.
How do you restart a furnace?
How to Reboot a Furnace
- Change the Filter. Before you do anything, check the furnace filter. …
- Check the Pilot Light. If the pilot light is off, your furnace can’t get the spark necessary to light the boilers. …
- Turn the Furnace Off and Back On Again. …
- Call a Certified HVAC Professional.